Thursday, January 17, 2013

An Explanation and Introduction

A commonplace book, also known as a zibaldone, is rather like a combination of a diary and a sketchbook. See Wikipedia for more detailed information.  They can contain anything that interests the person writing them.  In this regard they should be considered a notebook/reference for a specific person and not an attempt to communicate ideas to a wider audience.  I'm going to use this as justification for the mediocre quality of the writing that should follow in subsequent posts: it's meant to be a reference for me.  But y'all are welcome to find whatever information you can in my notes.

I am inspired in this action (i.e. I'm totally ripping off) Will McLean.  His Commonplace Book introduced me to the idea and has been a constant source of inspiration.  If you are at all interested in the 14th Century in general and Deeds of Arms in particular, you really should take a look at his work.  Plan on spending a weekend or visiting multiple times.

Another interesting commonplace book can be found here.  The pictures are interesting even if you can't read Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment